The Exhausted Leader




Leadership is often described with words like strength, vision, and influence and while those are part of the story, there is another side that rarely gets shared: exhaustion. I know this side well, because I have lived it.

As a leader, I carry responsibilities that begin first with family. They are my first ministry, my daily priority, and the closest stewardship God has entrusted to me. Beyond family, there is also the weight of work, the ongoing needs of ministry, and the demands of business. Each of these areas pulls on my time and energy in different ways. People often see the books, the programs, the accomplishments, but they don’t always see the toll it takes on the person behind it all.

Exhaustion in leadership is not just about long hours. It is also emotional and spiritual. It is the constant sense of being needed, of carrying responsibilities that others don’t always see, and of quietly battling the pressure to remain strong for everyone else. The truth is, exhaustion does not mean I have failed. It means I am human.

I write this so that others can understand that those who are in a situation like mine are not ignoring you, there are simply only so many hours in a day. When you are stretched across family, work, ministry, and business, it is not possible to be everywhere at once or meet every expectation. That reality does not mean we don’t care; it means our capacity is finite, and we are learning to steward it the best we can.

I have learned that ignoring exhaustion only makes it heavier. Pretending I am fine does not strengthen me, it only pushes me closer to burnout. The turning point is found in honesty: admitting I am tired. From there, I can give myself permission to rest, to reflect, and to allow God to pour back into me what I’ve been pouring out for others. Renewal comes not from striving harder, but from pausing to realign, reconnect, and restore balance.

To any leader who feels like me, worn down by the weight of family, work, ministry, and business,know this: you are not alone, and you are not failing. Exhaustion is not the end of your story. It is a signal that rest is needed, balance must be restored, and strength is waiting to be renewed.

I write this not as someone who has it all figured out, but as a confession from the middle of my own journey. I am the exhausted leader. Yet even here, I believe renewal is possible. Not by running harder, but by honoring my family first, by pacing myself in work, by serving ministry with balance, and by pursuing business with wisdom. That is how I will endure, and that is how any leader can keep going, not burned out, but rebuilt.

🙏 Prayer: Lord, renew every exhausted leader today. Give us wisdom to honor our families, strength to serve with integrity, and grace to find rest in You. Where we feel empty, fill us again. Where we feel stretched, steady us. And where we feel unseen, remind us that You know, You care, and You are enough. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in His Image, Not Made Without Limits

Stepping Into a New Season

True Friendship Is Hard to Find