Why I Decided I No Longer Want to Be the “Go-To” Person
Growing up, I always enjoyed helping people. It felt natural to step in, offer support, and make sure things got done well. Even as far back as eighth grade, I can remember group projects in my science classes, especially biology. While others took it lightly, I would often find myself carrying the bulk of the work. Why? Because I’ve always walked in a spirit of excellence. I believed that whatever had my name attached to it should be done with quality.
Over time, I discovered that being the “go-to” person comes at a cost. People start to rely on you not because they want to grow, but because they know you’ll get the job done. What feels like helping can quickly become enabling. When that pattern repeats itself for years, it turns into exhaustion.
Now, as an adult, a pastor, and a leader, I’ve had to face this truth head-on: I can no longer carry the weight of being everyone’s first call, everyone’s problem solver, everyone’s safety net. It is too time-consuming, it drains energy that should be invested in my God-given purpose, and most importantly, it places me in a role that only God Himself can truly fill.
This year, 2025, I have made the decision to remove myself from that spot. The journey has not been easy. No matter how much I try to step back, people still come to me, drawn to the reliability I’ve always shown. What I’ve learned is that I can point people in the right direction without carrying their entire journey for them. I can minister the Word, pray, and guide, but I cannot fulfill someone else’s purpose. That responsibility belongs between them and God.
I write this so that others can understand that those who are in a situation like mine are not ignoring you — there are simply only so many hours in a day. When you are stretched across family, work, ministry, and business, it is not possible to be everywhere at once or meet every expectation. That reality does not mean we don’t care; it means our capacity is finite, and we are learning to steward it the best we can.
Some may think this choice sounds selfish, but I no longer believe it is. It is wisdom. It is stewardship of my time, my health, and my calling. Even as a pastor, my role is not to be the constant provider, but to lead people to the true Provider. God alone is our ultimate source, and when I step out of His way, others have the opportunity to lean on Him instead of leaning on me.
Today, I stand in freedom. I am no longer the “go-to” person. I am a leader who points to Christ, a pastor who equips, and a woman who chooses balance over burnout.

Comments
Post a Comment